The Imag(in)e Project is a collaboration project in which a child will paint on a canvas board, and Samantha (The Artist) will take the canvas and add on top in black. This process takes about 3-4 weeks and you will have the artwork returned to you once completed by Artist. The goal is to turn your child’s colorful splatters into a recognizable painting.
If you have any requests for the painting such as, “We do not want to encourage any kind of fantasy creatures”, please let Artist know and they will adapt as best as possible to the request!
MAIL IN YOUR PAINTING
The Imag(in)e Project does not want to be limited to the Central Pa area. We want anyone to be able to participate!
What you need-
- 9×12 Canvas Board
Step One- Contact us online to receive the official sign up sheet.
Step Two- Paint!
Step Three- Mail your paintings, Sign up Sheet correctly filled out, and check (unless using PayPal) to 53 Dietrich Rd, Mifflinburg, Pa 17844. Make sure the package is protected so it does not get hurt in the mail. Accidents happen!
Step Four- You will be notified when your painting has been received. Now all you do is wait patiently for 3-4 weeks until your painting has been complete and mailed back to you!
-If you are nervous about your painting(s) and want to make sure they will work, sends us a quick photo, even if its on your phone. We can give you any recommendations if they are needed.
- Staying with the child(ren) that they are painting with
- Helping with color mixing and squeezing colors out of the paint tubes
- Determining when the canvas should be dried between colors (too many colors will make brown yucky colors).
- Make sure to only use one brush at a time, they can switch brushes, just put the dirty one in the water cup to avoid paint drying on the brush
- Drying the canvas with the hair dryer (Children may not do this step since the hair dryer may be hot).
Note: If you are in Central Pa and we are painting with you, the Artist or a supervising artist will also be around helping with all of the above.
The Imag(in)e Project is currently located in the Central Pa area near Harrisburg, Carlisle or Mifflinburg. If you are interested in Sam joining your group to help with paintings please contact us! We can help with Large groups of any age range. birthday parties & Homes for Elderly (with help from staff).
If you are a little further than Central Pa, ask about group rates when you mail in 5 paintings or more at once!
If Painting with Sam or a supervising artist, the following will be provided:
- An assortment of paint in easy squirt tubes (not including black)
- Canvas board
- Water cups
- Paper towels
- Hair dryers for drying paint between colors
- Kid and adult sized aprons
- Scroll through the collaboration page to see good examples of “Before” and “After.”
- When painting, you want to avoid all of the colors getting to “muddy.”
- Take breaks between colors or use a hair dryer to speed up drying time between each color.
- Avoid recognizable items. As children get older they want to paint things they know. Like people, animals or houses. We WILL NOT paint on top of these. Our job is to find what’s “in” the painting. If it already looks recognizable, we are not needed.
- Some young children can not keep their hands out of their mouths! If they still take a pacifier, make sure to stick it in! But if it still seems like a struggle, don’t be afraid to get their feet dirty!
Note: If you are nervous about your painting(s) and want to make sure they will work, sends us a quick photo, even if it’s from your phone. We can give you feedback on your paintings before you ship them off!
The cost to participate in this project is $85 per canvas + shipping. For each additional canvas, you will receive $10 off. We hope this encourages you to paint with your friends and siblings!
A check may be sent in when you mail in your paintings to The Imag(in)e Project, or you can pay us through Pay Pal.
Samantha, our Artist, generally spends an average of 5+ hours on each painting. Depending on the order yours is received, your child’s painting will be returned to you in 3-4 weeks.
Q: How long will it take?
A: It all depends on the attention span of the child. But the average is about 45 minutes to paint, and 3-4 weeks until your artwork is returned.
Q: What kind of paint do you use?
A: Non-toxic acrylic paint that is permanent, water based, intermixable and cleans up easily with soap and water.
Q: Are you teaching any techniques?
A: The goal of the project is not to teach particular skills, but to allow the children to paint what they want! They can use the brushes, sponges or just their hands.
Q: Can I leave and then come back to pick up my child?
A: No. This is not a classroom or a day care. I like to think of this more as a "Mommy and Me" type of environment. That makes the children more comfortable and adds more to the story behind the painting!
Q: Can I take the painting home with me right away?
A: If you want Sam to add to the child's painting, you need to leave the canvas with her so that she can give the right amount of time and creative thought to the piece of art. You can arrange with her when to get it back, usually within 3 weeks depending on the size of your group.
Q: Where are you located?
A: As of right now, Sam is willing to travel in the Central Pa area near Carlisle, Harrisburg or Mifflinburg. Mileage may be added to your cost.
Q: What ages do you work with?
A: Any age is welcome! Even if they are just a few weeks old!. As long as you can make a mess, we can paint on top!
Q: Can I mail in artwork and have it returned?
A: Of course! Shipping costs will be added on to the total price of Sam painting on top.
Q: Can I mail in paintings that are on paper?
A: No, we highly recommend canvas board. This makes shipping a lot safer. Also, when painting on paper, the paper has a tendency to wrinkle. Feel free to contact us with additional questions about canvas board!